Wednesday, July 15, 2015

The Evolution of Learning

Isn't it amazing how the first time you learn something, it seems impossible? 
It becomes possible, then manageable, then easy, then second nature.

You can back slide, but once past that first learning curve, it's never quite as difficult again. 
The danger, is that you may not work as hard as you could or should on those subsequent efforts. 

This weekend, I'm gearing up to run the Chicago Rock n Roll half marathon. I haven't run a half marathon in several years. 

My training hasn't been nearly what it should this year for a myriad of reasons, but I'm still getting out there and it's going to be awesome. The best part is that I have a girlfriend who will be running her very first half marathon. She has just become a new runner in the past year and she's diving headlong into the love of the activity.


I remember my first half marathon. It was epic to me. It was a HUGE accomplishment, our first cattle dog, Loki died just before the race, he had been my running partner. My virtual trainer in Australia not only called me that morning, but sent flowers! My amazing husband was there to support me the whole way! 
I finished that race with a stress fracture and didn't even know it. 

This will be my 5th half marathon, and I haven't run a straight distance race since the Chicago marathon in 2011, that year I did my first obstacle race, an Olympic distance triathlon and the marathon all within less than 6 months. I got pretty addicted to obstacle racing for a while but I'm really excited to get back to half marathons. I think it's my favorite distance.   

I'm not going for any kind of personal best at all this time, it's SO much more exciting to support a friend! 
The funny thing is that I have no doubt that I'll be able to run the distance, that I'll be happy with the experience. 

What have you learned that seemed impossible at first and now seems like child's play?

No comments :

Post a Comment